Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Hot Cocoa mix

If your kids like chocolate, (okay what kid or adult doesn't?) then I am sure they like hot cocoa. It can be a bit pricey at about $2.50 for an 8 count box. That's over 40 cents a serving. Since my kids would go through that 8 count box in one sitting, I needed to find a way to make it more price reasonable.

I was passed a version of this on by a restaurant owner some years ago and I have adjusted this to suit my taste. I usually make this without the dry milk (for reasons I may go into in another post) and the kids will heat a cup of milk up in the microwave oven and add the mix to that. You can go either way, but even with the dry milk and water added it will be a thinner tasting hot cocoa because of the lack of fat in the mix. Fat always conveys flavor and that is why low/no fat versions of anything taste bad.


3 cups non fat dry milk
1 cup white granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Sift all ingredients into large mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly (I like using a whisk). Store in large airtight/water tight container.
When serving- Add 1-2 Tablespoons of mix to mug of boiling water (or milk for even better flavor). Stir well and enjoy.

WARNING- Contents of mug may be hot!

That was my legal disclaimer so you can't sue me later for burning your mouth.

Added notes-
If you have it available to you, use vanilla sugar (I will do a post on how to make this) in place of the plain white sugar for a larger depth of flavor.
Add 1/4 cup of instant coffee to the mix to make a mocha java or add the 1-2 tablespoons of mix to hot coffee in place of the boiling water.


No comments:

Post a Comment