Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Home-made Hot Cocoa Mix from a Handful of Ingredients


If your kids like chocolate, (okay what kid or adult doesn't?) then I am sure they like hot cocoa. It can be a bit pricey at about $2.50 for an 8 count box. That's over 40 cents a serving. Since my kids would go through that 8 count box in one sitting, I needed to find a way to make it for a more reasonable price.



A version of this was passed on to me by a restaurant owner some years ago and I have adjusted the recipe to suit my taste. I usually make this without the dry milk. My kids simply heat a cup of whole milk in our microwave oven and add the mix. You can go either way, but if you opt for the dry milk and water your hot cocoa will be thinner because of the lack of fat. Fat always conveys flavor and texture

Dry Hot Cocoa Mix
3 cups non fat dry milk (optional)
1 cup white granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Sift all ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly (I like using a whisk). Store in a large airtight/water tight container.

To serve- add 1-2 Tablespoons of mix into a mug of boiling water (if you included the non-fat dry milk in your mixture) or add the mix into a mug of hot milk (if you left the dry milk out of your mix). Stir well and enjoy.

WARNING- Contents of mug may be hot!
That was my legal disclaimer so you can't sue me later for burning your mouth.

Added notes-
  • If you have it available to you, use vanilla sugar in place of the plain white sugar for a larger depth of flavor.
  • Add 1/4 C instant coffee to the mix to make Mocha Java Dry Mix or just add 1-2 T of the regular Hot Cocoa mix to your mug of hot coffee.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Got suggestions, comments or ideas? Let me know what's on your mind.